September 25, 2008

My First European Escapade

I called this My first European Escapade because I've never been to Europe at all. When I got the chance to be sent to Sweden for a business trip, I got a bit excited and as well as skeptical in the sense that I may have to adjust slightly to the culture and get myself out of my comfort zone.

Rosenberg Palace
Rosenberg Castle during Summer

My scheduled flight was around 10:45 am from terminal 1 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila. I got there at 6:30 am. Isn't it obvious that I was excited... I thought so too! I boarded 13 hour KLM flight to Amsterdam 15 minutes prior to departure. I just didn't mind the long hours of helpless stay in an airline and just entertained myself. It was not fun to be in a long flight. My back ached so much. I wasn't able to sleep. All I did was to track the flight route and the remaining hours to our next stopover.

Jorke's Passage
Jorske's Passage

It was a relief that we were able to land safely at Schiphol International Airport in Amsterdam. The next connecting flight was 3 hours after and was bound to Kastrup International Airport in Copenhagen, Denmark. I again entertained myself by looking around for some stuff to eat and buy yet I never found some or maybe because I thought that the stuffs for sale are all way overpriced... (c'mon man, that was not Manila) hehehe! I just looked around again for any sign of a smoking area. I realized that I have not smoked for almost 15 hours. So i walked and walked and walked yet there was not even a sign directing me to a smoking zone. To my frustration, I had the couraged of asking an airport personnel. I became more frustrated knowing that the whole airport is a none smoking zone... what the...!!! I just hoped that the airport in Copenhagen will allow me to smoke.

Another hour on board to Copenhagen was no matched to a 13 hour journey to Amsterdam. My excitement lived again. I looked forward to planning my itenerary the next day. After a moment, an annoucement from the cockpit said that we were about to land to Copenhagen. Wow, that was fast!!! I realized that I got a bit busy on thinking about my leisure plans for the following day and did not noticed that an hour had passed. We landed to Copenhagen at around 11:15 pm Denmark time.

Nyboder
Nyboder

The airport is huge and they allow smoking on designated areas. It was a relief. After puffing two sticks of a Philippine made cigarette which I brought with me knowing that vices in Europe is really expensive, my taxi which will take me to Malmo, Sweden came. It was another 30 minute of land travel over Oresund bridge which connects Denmark and Sweden.

St. Alban's Church
St. Alban's Church

We came to Malmo at passed 12 midnight. I checked in at SAS Radisson Hotel in Malmo which my company booked for me. After getting in to my room, I laid myself down to the bed, set my alarm at 10am and I realised that it was already morning and I needed to getup for a walk around.

No comments:

FEATURED PHOTO

FEATURED PHOTO
The Bloom - Photo by Deborah Sangre Baisa Rulona

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All articles and photos in this blog are protected under the Philippines' Republic Act No. 8293 (An act prescribing the Intellectual Property Code).

Please respect the rights of the owner(s) if you need to use any of the photos or articles by asking due permission.